Monday, 17 September 2012

Platformer - a bit more like a game

There were quite lot of improvements made in my engine, the most important is that I have implemented the animation system, working as described in a previous article. Most of the code was already written for the animation editor, so I 'just' had to port it to C++ from Java, and make the rendering work with OpenGL.

A small change that turned out to be quite important was that I have exposed some keyboard handling functions to Lua, so now it is possible to handle key events from scripts. It is important because it makes it possible (and easy) to add new gameplay features from scripts, without modifying the engine. The wizard should throw a fireball? Just add some lines to the keyboard event handling logic in the Lua script, which creates a new entity, sets up its physical properties (size, position, speed) and appearance (add an image to it), and done, there flies the fireball! As the engine becomes more and more complete, the more code will be written in Lua, and less in C++.

Now that the scripting part of the engine is capable of so much, I have added some mainly eye-candy features besides the projectiles: the camera follows the projectile and zooms on it; the camera target can be switched now, it follows either the wizard or the dog, but it could be any entity in the game; and the last new feature is shaking the camera after falling from great heights.

I have been using Bitbucket as an online backup for my projects for a while, and recently I have started to use it's issue tracker too, which is great. It helps me collect the tasks I plan to make in the engine, so when I decide to do some work, I just take a look at the issues, and I can easily decide what should be the next step. I don't have to remember all the possible improvements, and more importantly I don't forget my good ideas.

Another awesome thing is that I tried to compile the engine on Linux, and after collecting the necessary libraries and setting up the build environment, the code compiled without any warnings, and it runs fine on Linux too. I developed the whole engine with platform independence in mind, but I was glad anyway to see it compile and run without any problems on Linux too, especially since it depends on several libraries.

The engine will soon have enough features implemented to be sufficient for a simple game, so after some minor improvements my plan is to create some real artwork and a level, and make a short demo version of the game I have in my mind. Though it might be delayed a bit, because I am changing my job (even moving to another country), and I think it will keep me busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment